Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Five Time Management Tips I Use In My Home Business

We've all heard the saying "Time is money". Since I started my home based business that saying rings true every day. In order to effectively run my home business, I discovered I had to first learn to manage my time between home and office. Here are a few things I'm doing to take control of my time:

Setting My Priorities. My family, business and volunteer work all are important. But I realized that I sometimes have to make sacrifices in some of those areas to compensate for other areas. I've learned to let go of being particular about my house, I sometimes settle for a not-so-perfect house. I also ask my family to pitch in and help out. I'm trying to teach my son that he needs to pick up after himself. I've learned it's all about choosing and setting my priorities to what works for me, my family and my home business.

Including and Delegating Help from My Family. My family is part of this journey, too! I sat down with my family and let them know what I was doing and why. I let them know how much I love them and that I was going to be busy starting my new business. I let them know what I expected of them and let them know I wanted them to start helping out around the house more. By including them from the start, they have been more understanding and have wanted to help me. I have a sense that they now feel like they are playing an active role in helping my (our) business succeed.

Becoming a Goal Setter. I've set daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly goals for my family and my business. I've written them down so that I am accountable for achieving the results I want. By having my goals in writing, I'm able to revisit them and adjust accordingly.
Being Realistic and Flexible. We all have grand visions of the perfect home based business arrangement. I've let that go! I am striving to be more realistic and flexible at all times. There will be interruptions, sick children, and various other unexpected events. By setting my goals and realizing I can make adjustments, I am able to get back on track when I have an unplanned event.

Getting Organized. Organization is a whole topic to itself! I'll just touch on some of the things I'm starting with. Organization takes time! First, I'm keeping one calendar that contains both my business and family events. By recording all my commitments on one calendar, I'm able to keep from having scheduling conflicts. I'm trying to keep my office as tidy as I can. I've been trying to return items to the same place I got them from. I'm establishing a filing system so that I am not rummaging through papers to find what I need.

Time management is essential to a successful home business and a successful family life. By integrating these five tips into my home, I should be able to take back control of my time and move forward to an outstanding home based business!

Yvette Mason
http://www.BeyondTheCandle.com
http://www.BeyondTheCandleOnline.com

No comments: